Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Humble Request for Action

I don't like to ask people to sign petitons, but I'm making an exception in this case.

Below is an e-mail from my girlfriend's brother Arash about an Iranian woman and her troubling situation. As a significant other of an Iranian American cursorily familiar with situation of women in Iran, I beseech you to sign the petition.

"Hello everyone,

I rarely, if ever, send forwarded messages to people asking them to do something. Please help me in this battle. I know many of you are on local, state and national list servs and I would love to see the numbers in this petition rise. As of today, April 5th, 2006 I am signature number 5858. Lets try to double that number by the end of the month.

A young Iranian woman acted out of self defence when four men attempted to rape her and her niece. She stabbed several of them with a knife, and after one died later in the hospital, she was sentenced to death by hanging. In Iran, a married woman can receive the death penalty for being raped.

It is difficult to judge the status of women in one country by the standards of another. Iran is a signatory to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC). As an International, united people we have the responsibility to send a message. Please sign. Please don’t put it off till later.

The petition site

Arash"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting man.

Please sign. If you are worried about confidentiality, use a psuedo name and a fake e-mail address.

April 06, 2006 10:08 AM  
Blogger thesunwolf said...

I'm going to have to advise against that as it negates the validity of the petition. Don't sign if you don't want to be known as someone who cares about human rights.

April 06, 2006 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home