Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Time for a little game

Let's play "Can these two statements POSSIBLY be from the same story?"

First:
"Such an adverse drug reaction occurs extremely rarely and this is an unfortunate and unusual situation," Dr. Herman Scholtz, head of Parexel International Clinical Pharmacology, said in a statement.

Second:
Eight men had all volunteered to take part in the trial. Two were given a placebo and were unharmed. "Two patients remain critical and four patients are serious but showing some signs of improvement," Ganesh Suntharalingam, clinical director of intensive care at Northwick Park Hospital, said in a statement Wednesday.

Okay, I'm not a medical or statistical expert. But if there are eight patients in the study, two of whom were given placebo, that leaves six who were given the real medication. Two patients in critical condition and four in serious condition also equals six. I'd say that if your drug gave six of six patients serious side effects or worse, it's a little more than "extremely rarely" or "unfortunate and unusual," you freaking knob.

I'll tell you what. If I participated in that study, you'd better hope that medication kills me. 'Cause if I got my hands on the guy responsible for me looking like the freaking elephant man, that dude's gonna be wearing his ass for a hat.

1 Comments:

Blogger senti said...

There's "rarely" with regards to ALL drug studies they conduct, and then there's "rarely" as pertains to this particular drug.

From context, it sounds to me like the doctor meant the former, since this drug hasn't been tested on humans until now, and they lack a history on which to base what side effects to expect in humans.

Either way, sucks to be them.

March 19, 2006 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home