Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Important News Story

Please take five minutes to read the story linked to in this post. The story comes via AMERICAblog.

This poor guy was detained Sept 12, 2001 until this July with no charges ever filed. This is the a great example of where we need limits on the police powers we handed over to the government after Sept 11. It's also a perfect example of why judicial oversight on warrantless wiretaps and other covert police activities is critical. The law enforcement officials in this story made every effort to circumvent restrictions on how long someone can be held without charge and often ignored those restrictions outright.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for warrantless wiretaps if judicial oversight is maintained. I'm also for holding detainees suspected of terrorism for up to a year without charges if judicial oversight is maintained. Are you seeing a theme here, 'cause I gotta tell you, I sure am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home