Thursday, August 17, 2006

A little slice of my life...

Important preface...I'm having a crappy morning and haven't had enough caffeine. This may all be mindless drivel. Consider yourself warned.

So, I've been wanting to get some punching bags to create a good training set up at home. For those who don't know, I took some Krav Maga classes (about 3 mos worth) last year, but the drive to Cincinnati and the rednecks who ran the school proved to be too much. I finally got everything ordered a couple of days ago from Everlast through their web site.

Here are my bitches about this experience. One: I ordered a 72," 100lb Thai-style heavy bag, a 50lb two-chain uppercut (up-elbow, down-strike, forward kick, in my case) bag, three springs and gloves. With shipping (on 150lbs of bags, it's a lot) it came out to a wee bit under $500. That's not at all a small order for any on-line retailer and a HUGE investment for us at my house. No matter how many times I asked (and I asked) they would not give me a discount on my order.

Okay, so I let that go.

Then this morning I get a message on my cel phone saying they were out of stock on the leather Thai style heavy bags...until December.

Now, at this point, I was about to go into meltdown. I have been waiting paciently for a place to hang my bags for while now. My girlfriend's father is going to be in town next weekend and will be able to help me hang them in the garage. I wanted leather and not vinyl because EVERYTHING I've read about heavy bags says take leather over synthetics because of wear.

I called them back and inquired into the situation, making sure I had all the details right. Yes, I did, not until December would they have leather Thai-style Everlast heavy bags. So, I vent a little telling the girl how inconvenient this is for me, why isn't it posted on their website that they are out of stock, etc, etc.

Now comes the twist in the story. I know (and I can't remember how) that Everlast and Title boxing are the same company. The products are made of the same materials in the same factories (goodness knows where) and just have different labels stuck on them. So, I ask the customer service rep "Do you have the Title Boxing leather, Thai-style bags in stock?" "Let me check. Yes, we do." Well, after double-checking that they are, in fact, the exact same product made with the same materials in the same factories with a different label, I had her switch my order to a Title bag.

Now, let me just ask you fine people: Why in all that is sacred, holy and pleasurable did a trained CSR not offer me that choice in the first place? Why stress out a potential customer when the money goes to the same damn pot no matter what label is on it? Does EVERYONE on the planet do a worse job of customer service than I was ever ALLOWED to when I was in retail and a CSR for an online retailer? Anyone else have "WONDERFUL" customer service stories?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I'd love to share this one. An attractive, smart young woman went car shopping alone in Dallas, TX (circa 1998). Unfortunately for her, she didn't understand that her money was no good at a car dealership because she was a woman buying a car alone. She was told by the car salesman to come back when she had her boyfriend or her daddy come with her. That day, he lost out on a $25,000 cash purchase. (A modest amount, but still). Annoys the hell out of me to this day.

September 10, 2006 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home