Monday, April 23, 2007

MSF Class

Well, the day finally came Friday for me to take my Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider course (under the badge of Motorcycle Ohio). I left work Friday at noon, ran late getting out of the house, took longer than I expected to GET to BMW Columbus, took longer than it should have to buy my boots and helmet, took longer than I thought to drop off the second half of my down payment (W-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-H!!!!) and so I got to Mansfield JUST in time to roll into class with no time to spare to set up camp. I think all the pre-reading I did kind of usurped the classroom portion. But, I guess it was good for reinforcement.

After class and chatting a bit with the instructors and students, I got to go find a fleabag motel to sleep in for the night because it was FAR too dark to set up camp. No pics of that, sorry. I've lived in worse neighborhoods, but not by much. I started to say hi to the guys with their hibachi out on the porch at midnight grilling, but they glared at me as I got out of the car. Let's leave it at that.

That morning I got up and hauled some booty to the campground to set up, went to Miejer and stocked my cooler with water, Gatorade, snacks and food for the rest of the weekend and then headed over to the range to watch the morning class and read a bit. Then, the time came. Sorry ahead of time for the lack of action shots. There was NEVER anyone around to take pics while we rode.

I picked out my trusty steed for the weekend, a little Yamaha Trailee.

It was the closest thing they had to an F (yeah, I know, but how do you think all the Hardley riders felt about their Rebel 250s?), and actually pretty fun to tool about on. Wish I'd have had some time to squid around while the instructors weren't watching. I did make sure to run every part of the course as fast as I could, including running the slalom cones in the top of second (highest gear we were allowed to be in) and running the oval with the throttle pegged. Noting big, but fun to me!

The instructors laying out the course.

The instructors having the same conversation they have every week about how we're the worst bunch of students they've had yet, "Especially that PBWS, dude. I've seen better throttle control on the bumper cars at King's Island."

The class talking about the instructors, and the dork behind the camera.

Then, after the first day of class I returned to my temporary home sweet hooch. It don't look like much...

But the view ain't bad.


((YAWN!))Now if you'll excuse me I'm really tired and need to...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home