Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I will not marry. A declaration.

WARNING: something's been festering a few days and is about to be spewed forth in raw, undigested, unvarnished form.

So, I had a conversation with someone the other day about the fact that I do not wish to marry until everyone in this country who wants to marry (man and woman, man and man, woman and woman) has the right to marry. This person, a female, was skeptical about it because they felt it would limit my pool of possible mates.

Now, I just had an issue where a woman wouldn't date me because I'm an agnostic and wouldn't go to church with her and our hypothetical children(!), so I know that I'm in danger of putting my foot in my mouth here when it comes to exclusion and keeping an open mind. But, I've never shown any fear of putting my foot in my mouth...CLEARLY.

There are some absolutes I now feel I need to lay down.

1) Formally, I here now state that I will NOT marry until everyone in this country has the right to marry anyone they wish. We will look back on disallowing gay marriage in ten or fifteen years as we now look back on the anti-miscegenation laws. It's absolutely unconscionable that we don't go ahead and fix this now.

2) I will not enter into a long-term relationship with anyone who is racist or anti-gay rights nor anyone who thinks it is okay to produce more than two children per couple in a time when our planet is already over-populated. I'm all for adoption of you want more than two kids (Go Angelina and Brad!). There are thousands of children out there who need loving homes.

Okay, I reserve the right to add to this, but not subtract from it. [/rant]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I am very impressed. You have a very responsible and realistic view on marriage. I also feel as if any two people can and should get married regardless of there sex, religion, or haircolor. What gives any government the right to santify some peoples union and not another!!! Straight bullshit if you ask me. Who choses whose love is worth I ask??? -mj

May 29, 2007 8:54 PM  
Blogger M said...

As I get ready to ask Cathy to marry me, I find this almost ironic. Because I'm not "allowed" to marry is the same reason I want to. For me, it's between me and Cathy and our families. It's a pact, an agreement, a promise, and nothing that the state can give me. For you, it's power to reject what they allow you. For me, it's the power to claim what they won't allow me.

May 30, 2007 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home